Monday, January 27, 2014

The man he was and still is



First of all I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful support. The feedback I have gotten from this is heartwarming. 

It’s amazing how your life can go from being so busy you can barely handle it to you have nothing else to do but sit at the hospital. I have an extremely busy life, I have two children who are 4 years and 2 years old. I also work a full time job and I am involved in a bible study with a group of close friends and I am on a committee for a preschool where I live.  The kids alone keep me very busy between the needs of a 2 year old and a busy 4 year old who is in dance 9 months of the year and occasionally does gymnastics and swimming lessons. I also have a wonderful husband who need to be squeezed in there every once in a while!

Anyway enough about me there is a point to this post, well a few actually. Andy went into the hospital on Tuesday, October 8th. That week would have been a busy one for me, however I dropped it all. There was no place in the world I would have rather been then at the hospital. I called the people who I had made commitments to that week and told them what happened, they were very understanding. As the two weeks I was at the hospital, except for a couple that I went home to see my kids, I looked at my filled planner, as the days and events that had filled it passed, life went on. Not only for me but everyone it effected, we just figured it out. 

Since these events took place it just blows my mind how someone can go from having so many things going on to absolutely nothing, which goes in to the second point. The people that you choose to surround yourself with make such a profound impact on your life during these sort of events. We had such amazing people who took action, we didn’t even have to worry about our kids. They had a great place to sleep, they got brought to daycare and back to preschool and other events. I didn’t have to worry where they were or what they were doing or eating or if they were getting proper care. For those of you with kids know how hard that can be. The people who took my kids would communicate with each other so I could focus on being with my brother. I have a wonderful support system between family, friends and daycare provider. This not only lasted while in the hospital but after Andy had passed away and still to this day. I have good friends that check in on me and a loving husband who has stuck through my anger and sadness.
The main reason I wanted to post about this is because I feel like Andy was one of these people. Andy would have been the person helping someone if their loved one was in the hospital; he would mow your lawn, or lend you money. He was the kind friend who cared and remembered to check in. Andy had one of the kindest hearts you could imagine, and his smile could light up a room.  Andy was also one of the best fathers his son, Brady (1 ½ years old), could ask for. He was absolutely in love with Brady, and although Brady was unexpected Andy was all in and ready to be the best daddy in the world. Andy took pride in everything he did both on a personal level and a professional level, which is why he made it so far at such a young age in both aspects. Andy was also an uncle to 1 niece and 2 nephews, with who he was, coined the “fun uncle”. Always giving the best and the loudest toys imaginable! But to me he was by little oldest brother. He and I were only 18 months apart, we have an older brother, Josh, who was my “protector” and Andy was the brother who would rough house me when we were younger and would get in trouble with me as the years went on. He was there for me when I got pregnant at a young age and for me to call when I was in a rage and all he would say is “Katie, you just need to settle down, life is too short for all of this”. He unknowingly knew how short life really was, it was 24 years short. To our brother Josh he was his best friend and to our little sister Abby (6 years old) he was just her cool big brother who she loved dearly.  He also has 2 step- sisters and 1 step- brother all much younger, but he always took the time to talk with them and made them feel important. 

 I wanted you all to know this so that when you think of Andy and his story that I previously posted you really know the type of man Andy was and will be remembered for.

No comments:

Post a Comment